Hanen - More Than Words
Free Information Session Wednesday 19 April 2017 - bookings essential
This family focused program has been developed for parents of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and those with social communication difficulties. Parents learn practical ways to help their child communicate and interact during everyday routines and activities.
Parents learn a broad range of skills including:
- What motivates your child to communicate
- How to turn everyday activities into opportunities for learning to communicate
- How to develop your child’s play skills
- How your child learns best and how to take advantage of these preferences
- Why your child behaves in certain ways and what you can do about these behaviours
The program recognises that parents are the most important people in their child’s life, as well as being their child’s best teacher. The program gives parents the skills and resources they need to help develop their child’s communication skills.
This course is run over six months to provide parents with the opportunity to consolidate skills. The course includes:
- 8 x 2 hour sessions conducted at the clinic. All sessions are run by two speech pathologists. Video presentations and practical, hands-on teaching techniques are used to demonstrate and develop skills in a fun and supportive environment.
- 2 x home visits. Our speech pathologists conduct home visits during the program to observe your child in a familiar environment and take videos that may be used to illustrate key points during the clinic based sessions.
Each family is given their own copy of the training manual at the beginning of the course. Additional resources are provided during the course of the program.
“We were referred to Mardi at Melvin Speech Pathology to do the Hanen More than Words program by our speech pathologist. It was during our process to get an ASD diagnosis for our son.
More than Words is a fantastic program and Mardi's extensive knowledge & support have been really helpful for us to learn and communicate with our son in a different and better way. We highly recommend it to parents with ASD children.” RG and MZ
“The Hanen - More Than Words program, unlocked so many communication skills for us, which have enhanced our speech therapy experience. It teaches surprisingly simple & fun ways to interact & communicate with children on The Spectrum. We cannot recommend it highly enough.” EM & JB
Information and Registration:
For additional information about the program visit the Hanen website.
Copies of the brochures are also available if you click here.
To register your interest in attending our next free information session about the Hanen More Than Words program, click here. We will send details regarding dates and times.
Parents registered with FaHCSIA can use their funding to access our Hanen More than Words Program.